Normale Version: Fort Lauderdale
Sie sehen gerade eine vereinfachte Darstellung unserer Inhalte. Normale Ansicht mit richtiger Formatierung.
Seiten: 1 2 3 4
Shooting at Fort Lauderdale Airport Terminal 2

Gunman Who Opened Fire at Fort Lauderdale is Identified as Iraq War Veteran

Five people were killed and at least eight more were wounded after a gunman began shooting at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport on Friday afternoon. The gunman has been identified as 26-year-old Esteban Santiago. Santiago, who was born in New Jersey, reportedly signed up to serve the National Guard in August 2016 and had served a tour of duty in Iraq.


Ft Lauderdale suspect forced to watch ISIS videos?

FBI: Esteban S. hörte ISIS-Stimmen

07.01.2017 - 03:39 Uhr

Miami – Eine schreckliche Bluttat, offenbar begangen von einem Geisteskranken...
Esteban S. (26) tötete am Freitagnachmittag im Terminal 2 des Flughafens Fort Lauderdale fünf Menschen, verletzte acht weitere.

► Wie in den Stunden nach der Tat herauskam, war der Todesschütze in psychologischer Behandlung.

Nachdem er 2011 von einem Einsatz im Irak, wo er in einem Pionierbataillon mehrere Medaillen gewonnen hatte, in die Heimat zurückkam, war er laut einer Tante merkwürdig geworden.
Und nachdem er immer wieder nicht zum Dienst an seiner letzten Dienststelle, der Alaska-Nationalgarde, erschienen war, wurde er dort im August 2016 entlassen.
Im November vergangenen Jahres war er dann in seinem Wohnort Anchorage, Alaska, selbst zu einem FBI-Büro gegangen.
Dort erzählte er den Beamten, die Regierung würde seine Gedanken kontrollieren und ihn zwingen, Videos der islamistischen Terror-Organisation ISIS anzuschauen.

Laut „CNN“ habe er außerdem Stimmen gehört, unter anderem welche, die ihm sagten, er sollte ISIS beitreten.

Aus Sorge um seine geistige Gesundheit überzeugten die Beamten S. daraufhin in ein Krankenhaus zu gehen. Dort ließ er sich freiwillig auf seine geistige Gesundheit untersuchen. 

Wer ist Esteban S.?

S. ist der jüngste von fünf Geschwistern, wurde in New Jersey geboren.

Bryan S., ein Bruder des Schützen, bestätigte, dass Esteban in Alaska psychologisch behandelt wurde.
Das zumindest habe S.' Freundin der Familie in den vergangenen Monaten am Telefon berichtet. Weshalb S. behandelt wurde, darüber habe sein Bruder nie sprechen wollen.

Bryan S. weiter: Die Familie sei aus New Jersey in das US-Gebiet von Puerto Rico umgezogen, als S. zwei Jahre alt war. Später sei er der Nationalgarde beigetreten und von 2010 bis 2011 im Irak stationiert gewesen.

► Laut „CBS“ hat es gegen S. ergebnislose Ermittlungen wegen Kinderpornografie gegeben.

Die Bluttat 

Die Tatwaffe, eine Pistole, hatte S. legal in sein Gepäck aufgegeben. Das ist in den USA möglich. Als Nationalgarde-Veteran wusste er, wie man mit einer Waffe umgeht. Ohne ein Wort zu sagen, schoss er scheinbar wahllos auf die Menschen.

Als er seine Munition verschossen hatte, warf er die Waffe weg und legte sich, alle Viere von sich gestreckt, auf den Boden, um sich festnehmen zu lassen.

Vor der Tat hatte er sich im Flugzeug von Alaska nach Florida mit anderen Reisenden gestritten, wie „CNN“ berichtet.
Ft. Lauderdale shooting suspect made confused visit to FBI, said US intelligence forced him to watch ISIS videos

Estaban Santiago, the 26-year-old airline passenger accused of shooting up a baggage claim area at the Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood airport Friday, leaving five dead and eight injured, visited the FBI Anchorage field office and told officers he was being forced to watch ISIS videos, law enforcement sources told Fox News.

The visit took place last November. The sources said Santiago told agents that US intelligence had infiltrated his mind and were forcing him to watch ISIS propaganda videos.

In addition, the sources told Fox that Santiago appeared agitated and incoherent during that interview, clearly indicating he was suffering from some kind of mental condition.
After the contact with Santiago, the FBI called local authorities who took custody of him and brought him to a local hospital for a welfare check.

His brother said he had been receiving psychological treatment recently, according to the Associated Press.

The sources also said the November interaction with Santiago prompted the FBI to open an investigation on him that led to interviews with family members, database checks and an interagency review. The sources told Fox that the FBI found no connections to foreign terror organizations.

However, he has had a series of run-ins with the law in recent years.

Almost exactly a year ago, he was charged with fourth-degree assault and damage of property in Anchorage, Alaska where he lived from 2014 to 2016. One of the charges was dismissed by the local prosecutor two months later, according to records found by
Details surrounding the incident were not immediately clear but authorities in Anchorage told the Daily Beast it was related to domestic violence. The case was resolved after Santiago agreed to enter an agreement of deferred prosecution. The charges were dismissed by the state prosecutor in exchange for completion of requirements.

Other records show that Santiago was evicted from his apartment in February 2015 for non-payment of $435 in rent. Santiago also has a record for minor traffic infractions, including driving with a broken taillight and another incident in which he was found driving without insurance.

Santiago was born in New Jersey and his family was originally from Puerto Rico--where he served in the Puerto Rico National Guard. He was in the Army Reserves prior to serving in the Alaska Army National Guard. According to reports, he was honorably discharged four months ago from his last post at Fort Greely, Arkansas, and his military rank at that time was E3 (Private First Class). He also has a concealed carry permit and had checked in his weapon prior to boarding.

Santiago’s aunt, who lives in Hudson County, New Jersey, spoke
with a reporters from local newspaper The Record of North Jersey on Friday evening.

“I don’t know why this happened,” Maria Ruiz said to
reporters at her home in Union City as FBI agents arrived. The distraught relative said that Santiago had served two years in Iraq and started acting strangely when he returned.

He also became a father in the past year and she told reporters that he “was happy with the kid.”

It was early Friday afternoon when the mayhem first broke out at Fort Lauderdale airport. Five people were shot dead after Santiago allegedly opened fire at a baggage claim area in Terminal Two. Witness and investigators said the suspect shot some of his victims in the head without saying a word.

In the ensuing panic, the TSA received two separate, unconfirmed reports of a separate active shooter, a law enforcement official close to the investigation told Fox News. However, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said Friday afternoon there was no indication any additional shots were fired.

Broward County Commissioner Chip La Marca posted on Facebook that Santiago was a “passenger on a Canadian flight with a checked gun. He claimed his bag and took the gun from baggage and went into the bathroom to load it. Came out shooting people in baggage claim. There were 13 total shot, 5 dead, 8 transported to hospital.”

Witnesses at the shooting scene told Fox News that the shooter was a slender man with dark hair, likely in his 30s and wearing a Star Wars t-shirt. It is believed that he boarded a plane in Anchorage last night and flew overnight to Fort Lauderdale.

Santiago was taken into custody without incident and was unhurt. Law enforcement never fired any shots, Israel said. "This scene is considered fluid and active." The sheriff said it was not clear why he chose to open fire.

"It was very surreal," John Schlicher, a witness, told Fox News. "He did not say a word.
"He was shooting people that were down on the ground, too."

Fox News' Matthew Dean contributed to this report

Nun bleibt die Frage ....
Wer hat ihn radikalisiert?  Wink
Fort Lauderdale airport shooting witness: My laptop took a bullet for me

The dramatic shooting incident at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport Friday afternoon ended with 13 people shot and five of them dead but one person avoided serious injury thanks to a book bag and his MacBook.
Steve Frappier, 37, an Atlanta school counselor and former director of college counseling at Ransom Everglades, was in town for an education conference and had just gotten down to baggage claim. As people clustered around to get their suitcases, Frappier heard loud firecracker noises but, “I didn’t think much of it because in an airport, there’s always loud sounds.”

But then he heard someone yell out: “He’s got a gun! Get down!”
Everyone in the area hit the floor. Frappier watched as a man, identified by law enforcement as Esteban Santiago, 26, calmly began firing at people.
“He never said anything the entire time,” Frappier said. “He was cool, calm and collected. He never grimaced.”
As luggage began spilling onto him from the conveyor belt, Frappier said he saw a man get shot in the head. “His wife was screaming, hovering over him,” he said.
He then felt a muffled impact on his back and thought it was just luggage that fell on him.
It wasn’t until after the gunman surrendered that Frappier got up in a daze and went to the bathroom. He opened his backpack and saw a bullet hole in his school-issued Macbook Pro.
He surrendered his backpack to FBI agents, who found the 9 mm bullet inside the backpack, where it fell after hitting the computer.
“If I didn’t have that backpack on, the bullet would have shot me between the shoulders,” Frappier said. “It still doesn’t feel real.”


Shooting at ft. lauderdale airport

TERRORIST ATTACK FORT LAUDERDALE AIRPORT, US Assailant May Have Heard Voices Urging Violence

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Federal law enforcement officials said they were investigating whether the gunman who opened fire at the airport in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on Friday, killing five people and wounding eight, was mentally disturbed and heard voices in his head telling him to commit acts of violence.

According to one of the officials, the gunman, identified as Esteban Santiago, 26, had visited the F.B.I. office in Anchorage recently and made disturbing remarks that prompted officials to urge him to seek mental health care.

Officials said it was too early to tell whether Mr. Santiago, who was captured in the airport, had been inspired by terrorist groups, including the Islamic State. The officials said he had viewed extremism materials on the internet.

Shortly after 1 p.m. Friday, the gunman, who had been an airline passenger, pulled a weapon out of his bag and opened fire in a crowded baggage claim area in Terminal 2, officials said.

The shooting spurred a scene of panic and confusion that played out on live television as scores of travelers burst out of the terminal and onto the tarmac, running and seeking cover, at times in response to erroneous rumors of follow-up attacks.

David Fogarty, a carpenter from Key West, was heading to Cancun on vacation when the people around him suddenly began running toward the gates.

“Everybody was dropping gear, panicking, jumping over tables,” Mr. Fogarty said in a phone interview. “We were saying: What is going on? Are there people shooting? I am not hearing any gunshots, and the whole place is panicking.”

Officers took the suspect into custody without firing a shot, and on Friday evening, he was being interviewed by F.B.I. agents and county investigators, as the injured were being treated at hospitals.

On Twitter, President-elect Donald J. Trump said that he was “monitoring the terrible situation in Florida” and that he had spoken to Gov. Rick Scott.

Hours after the attack, a picture began to emerge of Mr. Santiago as a man who had served his country, but who had experienced trouble and failure. Mr. Santiago was discharged from the Alaska Army National Guard for “unsatisfactory performance,” in August, according to Lt. Col. Candis A. Olmstead, the spokeswoman for the Alaska Guard.

In an email, Ms. Olmstead said that Mr. Santiago joined the Puerto Rico National Guard in December 2007. In 2010 he deployed to Balad, Iraq, in 2010 with the 130th Engineer Battalion, which spent a year clearing roads of improvised explosives and maintaining bridges; he was awarded a Meritorious Unit Commendation.

At least two soldiers from his company were killed in insurgent attacks during the tour, but there is nothing in the record that indicates Mr. Santiago had been in combat.

Ms. Olmstead said he served in the Army Reserves before joining the Alaska Army National Guard in November 2014. Before his discharge last year, he had worked as a combat engineer as a private first class. An official service record released by the Army on Friday showed that Mr. Santiago had received a number of commendations, including the Army Good Conduct Medal.

Mr. Santiago’s brother, Bryan Santiago, told The Associated Press that Esteban was born in New Jersey and moved to Puerto Rico when he was 2 years old. He also told the A.P. that his brother had been receiving psychological treatment in Alaska, but he did not know exactly what for.

Fort Lauderdale Airport Shooting POLICE RADIO

Teror at Intl Airport Fort Lauderdale Florida

Seiten: 1 2 3 4